Friday, July 03, 2009

The Jello Sandwich

Did I ever tell you about the time I almost gave myself diabetes?

Well it happened not too long ago. After my last sandwich adventure (see my previous entry), I decided that for my next masterpiece, I would try a dessert sandwich. A dessert sandwich you say? "It can't be done!" Hah! I say. Behold!

I'm not sure where I got the idea, but it might have come to me in a fever dream or a fortune cookie. In any case, the idea of a Jello sandwich intrigued me. I immediately began preparing it in my head, formulating how it would look and trying to figure out when i would have time to make it. Well I finally had some time and here's how it goes.

First, the ingredients;

Texas toast (or other thick cut bread)
Two packages of jello (any flavor will do)
Eggs
Marshmallow fluff
Chocolate sauce

the ingredients

The first thing to do is set up the Jello as it will need a few hours to set. You`ll want to make jiggler style jello so it doesn`t fall apart or melt when you put it on the bread. To do that, mix 2 packages of jello with two and half cups of boiling water. Stir it well and stick it in the fridge for at least three hours.

For the bread part, I thought French toast would compliment the Jello very nicely. If you don`t know how to make French toast, shame on you. It`s super easy. Crack a couple of eggs in a dish with a flat bottom and whip em good.

eggs

Slap the bread into the eggs, making sure to coat it on both sides, then stick it in a frying pan. (Not too hot or you risk burning, and nothing tastes worse than burning)

into the pan

Fry it up until it is a nice golden brown on both sides.

fried up

Take your, now fully set, Jello out of the fridge.

jello

Cut the Jello into squares, and place on your French toast.

cut up

Now here comes the tricky part. Marshmallow fluff is super sticky and you will probably need another utensil to get it off of whatever you are using to spread it.

apply the spread

After that, all you need is some chocolate sauce, some courage and probably insulin.

add the sauce

After trying it, I would say it makes an excellent dessert. Far too rich for meal time, but certain to satisfy your sweet tooth.

Not sure when I will I will be making my next concoction, but I have been challenged by a friend to make a cookie sandwich. If you have a great sandwich, I`d love to hear about it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OK. I thought you were nuts with the kraft dinner sandwich and then, a Jello sandwich? Is he on serious drugs (or should he be)? So, how could I help but read the recipe. The ingredient list, at first glance, caused a gag response in the back of my throat. Yes, totally insane I thought to myself. However, since I cannot stop reading before the end of any book, no matter how bad or difficult to read (OK, that's not quite true. I still haven't got to the end of Wuthering Heights despite two valient attempts), I read on to the end of the recipe. By the end, and on viewing the finished product, I must admit that Carl the Baker does seem to be a BAKING GENIUS. At least when it comes to desserts. Now I desperately need to make some but will my family think I have totally lost my mind!

Unknown said...

There really is a jello sandwich...it is all jello and heavy cream, sour cream...and that’s it